The Tascam iM2X turns an Apple iPhone 4, iPad or iPod Touch 4G into a powerful PCM audio recorder for CD-quality recordings. It consists of a pair of condenser microphones and a high-quality preamp and plugs into the dock connector of the iOS device. The microphone elements are XY oriented for clear stereo definition and minimal phase differences. Moreover, they are adjustable over 180 degrees for the best sound placement.
Unlike mics that use the iOS device’s built-in preamp, the iM2X with its internal A/D converter ensures low noise and better linearity in frequency response. The microphone elements also used in Tascam DR series recorders can handle sound pressure levels up to 125 dB to capture the loudest concerts and instruments without distortion. Thanks to an input level control and a two-colour level meter, level adjustment is very simple. A switchable Limiter also contributes to this by reducing sudden peaks and protecting against unforeseen overload.
The iM2X powered through the dock connector, so no battery is required. A USB input is provided to charge the iOS device for long recordings, either through a computer or a USB charger.
An appropriate 2-track recording application (Tascam PCM Recorder) for iOS devices can be downloaded from AppStore at no charge.
- Turns your Apple iPhone 4, iPad or iPod Touch 4G into a high-grade PCM audio recorder
- Stereo condenser microphone in XY orientation for clear stereo definition and minimal phase differences
- Accepts sound pressure level up to 125 dB SPL
- Microphone can be swivelled by 180 degrees to capture sound sources in front or behind the unit
- Allows recordings in CD quality (44.1kHz/16-bit)
- Input level rotary control
- Input level indicator (green/red)
- Switchable Limiter to avoid distorted recordings
- Power supply via dock connector, no battery required
- USB connector available for recharging the iOS device
- Easy setup (attaches to the device’s dock connector)
- Tascam 2-track recording app can be downloaded from the Apple AppStore at no charge
- Microphone type : Cardioid condenser (stereo)
- Maximum input level : 125 dB SPL
- Input level adjustment range : 0–40 dB
- Frequency range : 10 Hz – 20 kHz
- Sampling frequency : 44.1 kHz
- Bit rate : 16 bit
- iOS device recharging port : USB Mini-B connector
- iOS device connector : 30-pin dock connector
- Device support : iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, iPad (3rd generation), iPad 2, iPad or iPod touch (4th generation)
Power supply and other specifications
- Power supply : Provided through the iOS device connector
- Power consumption : 90 mW
- Dimensions (W x H x D) : 56 mm x 57 mm x 22 mm (including connector)
- Weight : 30 g