This book is designed to help saxophonists develop fluency in the jazz language by providing mainstream jazz vocabulary (swing/bop/post-bop) that nails the changes and lays great on the horn.
Think of Hip Licks for Saxophone Volume 2 as a musical reference book, like a dictionary of great licks in all twelve keys, available when you need it. You can open the book to any page and just start playing.
Hip Licks for Saxophone Volume 2 is an indispensable resource that shows you how a professional player would deal with many of the complex chord progressions found in popular standards and jazz compositions.
Special Features of Hip Licks for Saxophone Volume 2 by Greg Fishman:
• 120 Hip Licks – Each lick is unique and customized for each key, based on the best timbre, register and playability on the horn.
• Idiomatic Construction – Alto and Tenor read the same written part, while the rhythm section is recorded in two different keys, ensuring that each lick lays perfectly on all saxophones.
• Slow Tempo and Fast Tempo Play-Along CDs are included for both Alto and Tenor – 4 CDs included: 2 Alto CDs and 2 Tenor CDs, providing over four hours of play-along tracks. All licks at 208 BPM (and above) are recorded at both slow and fast tempos.
• Hip Licks for Saxophone Volume 2 features great licks over the following chord progressions:
• V7#11 chords [C7#11] x 12 keys
• ii mi7 / V7 [C mi7 / F7 ] x 12 keys
• ii mi7b5 / V7b9 [C mi7b5 / F7b9] x 12 keys
• iv mi7 / bVII7 / I Maj7 ( 2 bar and 4 bar phrases) [F mi7 / Bb7 / C Maj7] x 12 keys
• b vi mi7 / bII7 / I Maj7 [Ab mi7 / Db7 / C Maj7] x 12 keys
• #iv mi7 / VII7 / I Maj7 [F#mi7 / B7 / CMaj7 x 12 keys
• Turnaround Licks (4 beats per chord – 4 bar phrases [C Maj7 / A7b9 / Dmi7 / G7] x 12 keys
• V7#9#5 / i mi [C7#9#5 / F mi ] x 12 keys
• Turnaround Licks (2 beats per chord – 8 bar phrases] [C Maj7 Ami7 / Dmi7 G7 ] x 12 keys
• Modular Design – The licks are self-contained, easily taken out of the book to be used in a wide variety of songs.
• Interactive Call and Response Format, perfect for ear training and developing your musical memory. Each lick is played twice in a row on the Play-Along CDs, so you can hear the lick and then immediately play along.
• Twelve Key Approach – Each CD track takes you through all twelve keys.
• Rhythm-Section-Only Tracks let you experiment with your own variations on the licks and improvise over a wide variety of harmonic settings. These tracks are also excellent backgrounds for practicing all of your chords and scales.
• Technique Builder – Use Hip Licks for Saxophone as part of your daily practice routine to dramatically increase your technical command of the saxophone.
Hip Licks for Saxophone Volumes 1 & 2 were designed to work well together. The lick numbers in volume two start where volume one left off, beginning with lick number 169. This will help you easily keep track of your favorite licks, with no confusion from duplicate lick numbers. Using Volume 1 and 2 together will you have 288 hip licks, many of which can be mixed and matched, creating even more licks.
36 pages, 4 Play-Along CDs included